Dominion Voting System has filed a defamation suit against MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell for $1.3 billion for making and spreading baseless claims about the company’s voting machines. Mike Lindell is a known Donald Trump supporter and exploited conspiracy theories that voting fraud led to Trump’s loss and Joe Biden’s victory. Also Read: China arrests bloggers ahead of introducing new regulations to crush free speech online
Broad view: Dominion Voting Systems sued Mike Lindell, stating that his statements, including in media attendances, social-media columns, and a film claiming to prove extensive election fraud, harmed the market position of Dominion’s voting machines. The suit said that Lindell had no credible evidence to back his claims that the company had stolen the election from Trump.
- The lawsuit alleges that Lindell “sells the lie” involving the company’s voting machines “because the lie sells pillows”
- Suit says that MyPillow supported assemblies that pushed election fraud claims, gave away discount codes connected to the conspiracy theory
- Dominion alleged that Lindell lied so MyPillow could derive “financial benefits from making those false statements”
- Lindell’s claim helped him to sell copies of his book and raised the possibility of his appointment as governor of Minnesota.
- Dominion had also filed litigation against attorneys Sidney Powell and Rudy Giuliani.
- Rival voting company Smartmatic has sued Powell, Giuliani, Fox News and several of its anchors
What’re they saying: In a 115-page lawsuit, Dominion said “Lindell’s statements have exposed Dominion to the most extreme hatred and contempt. Lindell himself called it the “biggest crime ever committed in election history against our country and the world.”
Dominion attorney Megan Meier said, “Mr. Lindell advertised ‘absolute proof,’ but he delivered absolute nonsense and fake documents sourced from the dark corners of the internet. The cartoonish evidence that he offered in his video cannot be reconciled with any level of logic or truth” Also Read: US-China relations: Joe Biden sets his sight on new and more confident China
“Mike Lindell needs to be held accountable for defaming Dominion and undermining the integrity of our electoral system all the while profiting from it.”